Photograph by Martin Harvey, Corbis
From the October 2015 issue of Traveler magazine
Reasons to Travel Now: 1-13
1. MAGICAL MOROCCAN CAMEL RIDE:
From the back of a camel, Morocco’s Erg Chebbi (“sand sea”) glows rose gold and orange at sunset. Overnighting in a Berber camp caps off a spiritual, meditative journey.
2. SCOTLAND'S OWN ROUTE 66:
The new North Coast route is 500 rugged miles of photo-worthy hillsides, castles, and seaside villages.
3. WALK THIS WAY:
Big Apple views loom and cars zoom below as you stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge walkway, still the most scenic approach into Manhattan.
4. SLOW BOAT TO NANTUCKET:
The best way to reach the all-American beach mecca in Massachusetts isn’t the speedy hydrofoil from Hyannis but the slower ferry, which takes two-and-a-half stress-shedding hours.
5. JOYRIDES WITH “JUCY”:
Imported from New Zealand, these retrofitted Dodge Caravans are the more nimble, next-gen RVs, packed with double beds, fridge, and a stove.
6-10. CRUISE AROUND THE WORLD:
- Nile, Egypt: Pharaohs’ tombs, palm-skirted shores, and tales of Queen Hatshepsut, in a complex land
- Irrawaddy, Myanmar: Temples, jungle-clad banks, rice paddies, and Intha fishermen who ply boat oars with one leg
- Rhine, Germany: Quaint castles and half-timbered towns along a hardworking European shipping lane
- Antarctica: Gentoo penguins and Weddell seals at the stark, unearthly end of the world
- Norway Fjords: Impossibly blue water, towering cliffs, and glacier and waterfall views in Frozen country
11. FUN IN FUNICULARS:
Reach the heady heights of Valparaiso, Chile, on one of the port city’s click-clacking, hundred-year-old incline cable railways, or ascensors.
12. PREDAWN TUK TUK:
In Cambodia, buzz down the streets of Siem Reap in complete darkness riding in an auto rickshaw, before landing at Angkor Wat for sunrise over the temples.
13. COOLEST PASSPORT:
Hikers on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela, in France and Spain, fill a paper Pilgrim's Record with inked stamps collected along the way at inns, churches, and tourist offices.
2016 National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year Contest
Browse photos of nature, cities, and people and share your favorite photos.