- Bandar Seri Begawan; 61,000
- 5,765 square kilometers (2,226 square miles)
- Malay, English, Chinese
- Muslim, Buddhist, Christian, indigenous beliefs
- Bruneian dollar
- Life Expectancy:
- GDP per Capita:
- U.S. $18,600
- Literacy Percent:
Brunei Facts Flag
A small country, Brunei is located on the island of Borneo in Southeast Asia. Consisting of just two jungle enclaves—inhabited by Malays, Chinese, and indigenous tribes—Brunei won its independence in 1984 after almost a century as a British protectorate. Rich in oil and natural gas, the people of this Muslim sultanate enjoy high subsidies and generous health care. Brunei has an absolute monarchy and a hereditary nobility, with the sultan awarding titles to commoners. Malay is the official language, but English is widely understood and used in business.
- Industry: Petroleum, petroleum refining, liquefied natural gas, construction
- Agriculture: Rice, vegetables, fruits; chickens
- Exports: Crude oil, natural gas, refined products
—Text From National Geographic Atlas of the World, Eighth Edition
The majestic forests are vanishing in smoke and sawdust, but there's still hope for the island's fabled biodiversity.
No one knows how long artisans in Southeast Asia have been making batik, but these beautiful fabrics should be on your must-buy list.
In far eastern Indonesia, the Raja Ampat islands embrace a phenomenal coral wilderness.
Travel Photos From Your Shot
See Switzerland Photos Submitted By Users Like You