- Port Louis; 143,000
- 2,040 square kilometers (788 square miles)
- English, French, Creole, Hindi, Urdu, Hakka, Bhojpuri
- Hindu, Christian, Muslim, Protestant
- Mauritian Rupee
- Life Expectancy:
- GDP per Capita:
- U.S. $10,100
- Literacy Percent:
Mauritius Facts Flag
The island country of Mauritius lies in the Indian Ocean east of Madagascar. The volcanic main island of Mauritius is ringed by coral reefs; there are some 20 smaller islands. The islands were ruled in turn by the Dutch, French, and British, whose legacy includes a parliamentary form of government. Independence came in 1968. Diversifying sugarcane farming with manufacturing and tourism strengthens the nation, a blend of Africans, Indians, Europeans, and Chinese.
- Industry: Food processing (largely sugar milling), textiles, clothing, chemicals, metal products
- Agriculture: Sugarcane, tea, corn, potatoes, bananas; cattle; fish
- Exports: Clothing and textiles, sugar, cut flowers, molasses
—Text From National Geographic Atlas of the World, Eighth Edition
Find out how this gregarious primate's ancestors may have made the trip from to the African mainland to Madagascar.
Learn how Madagascar's sifaka got its unique name. Find out more about this endangered primate's life on this African island.
Find out more about Madagascar’s top native predator. Learn why fossas are endangered in the only place they call home.
Travel Photos From Your Shot
See Switzerland Photos Submitted By Users Like You