- Palikir; 7,000
- 702 square kilometers (271 square miles)
- English, Trukese, Pohnpeian, Yapese, Kosraean, Ulithian
- Roman Catholic, Protestant
- U.S. dollar
- Life Expectancy:
- GDP per Capita:
- U.S. $2,000
- Literacy Percent:
Micronesia Facts Flag
Micronesia consists of the Caroline Islands Archipelago in the western Pacific Ocean. In 1899 Spain sold the islands to Germany. Japan later occupied the region and fortified the islands just before World War II. In 1986 these 600 islands and atolls, formerly part of the U.S.-administered Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, became self-governing in free association with the United States. American aid is crucial to the islands' economy.
- Industry: Tourism, construction, fish processing, specialized aquaculture, craft items from shell, wood, and pearls
- Agriculture: Black pepper, tropical fruits and vegetables, coconuts, cassava (tapioca); pigs
- Exports: Fish, garments, bananas, black pepper
—Text From National Geographic Atlas of the World, Eighth Edition
See How the Phoenix Islands Have Bounced Back From a Rare Bleaching Disaster
Scattered about the world's largest ocean, the legendary islands of the South Pacific are a wonder to travelers, full of beautiful sights and fascinating cultures.
Meet the tiny organisms that combine to create the world's great tropical reefs. Find out about the threats that imperil corals worldwide.
Travel Photos From Your Shot
See Switzerland Photos Submitted By Users Like You