- Kingstown; 29,000
- 389 square kilometers (150 square miles)
- English, French patois
- Anglican, Methodist, Roman Catholic, other Protestant
- East Caribbean dollar
- Life Expectancy:
- GDP per Capita:
- U.S. $2,900
- Literacy Percent:
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Facts Flag
This eastern Caribbean country consists of volcanic Saint Vincent island and the Grenadines, 32 smaller islands and cays. Saint Vincent is hilly with rich volcanic soils, and its volcano, Soufrière, last erupted in 1979—the year of independence from Britain. Two hydroelectric plants help power Saint Vincent's diversifying economy, dependent in part on exports of bananas and arrowroot, valuable as a starch in carbonless copy paper. Tourism is of growing importance.
- Industry: Food processing, cement, furniture, clothing, starch
- Agriculture: Bananas, coconuts, sweet potatoes, spices; cattle; fish
- Exports: Bananas, eddoes, dasheen (taro), arrowroot starch, tennis racquets
—Text From National Geographic Atlas of the World, Eighth Edition
From authentic eats to scenic views, explore the best of this island paradise.
2015 Traveler Photo Contest
Explore the top photos, share your favorites, and browse all entries.