- Kingstown; 29,000
- 389 square kilometers (150 square miles)
- English, French patois
- Anglican, Methodist, Roman Catholic, other Protestant
- East Caribbean dollar
- Life Expectancy:
- GDP per Capita:
- U.S. $2,900
- Literacy Percent:
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Facts Flag
This eastern Caribbean country consists of volcanic Saint Vincent island and the Grenadines, 32 smaller islands and cays. Saint Vincent is hilly with rich volcanic soils, and its volcano, Soufrière, last erupted in 1979—the year of independence from Britain. Two hydroelectric plants help power Saint Vincent's diversifying economy, dependent in part on exports of bananas and arrowroot, valuable as a starch in carbonless copy paper. Tourism is of growing importance.
- Industry: Food processing, cement, furniture, clothing, starch
- Agriculture: Bananas, coconuts, sweet potatoes, spices; cattle; fish
- Exports: Bananas, eddoes, dasheen (taro), arrowroot starch, tennis racquets
—Text From National Geographic Atlas of the World, Eighth Edition
Check out these aerial photos for a bird's-eye-view of impressive volcanoes from around the world.
The coral reefs of Cuba are home to some of the ocean's most beautiful and rare aquatic life. Check out these amazing ecosystems.
Travel to the welcoming shores and streets of the islands of the Caribbean Sea, home to a mixture of native, European, African, and Asian cultures.
Travel Photos From Your Shot
See Switzerland Photos Submitted By Users Like You