- Port-Vila; 34,000
- 12,190 square kilometers (4,707 square miles)
- English, French, more than 100 local languages
- Protestant, Catholic, indigenous beliefs
- Life Expectancy:
- GDP per Capita:
- U.S. $2,900
- Literacy Percent:
Vanuatu Facts Flag
France and the U.K. jointly administered some 80 South Pacific islands known as the New Hebrides for 74 years until independence in 1980. During World War II the U.S. launched attacks from here against Japanese troops in the Solomon Islands and New Guinea, inspiring James Michener's Tales of the South Pacific. Tourism augments income from copra, tuna processing, meat canning, and timber sales. South American hardwoods have been introduced to expand forests.
- Industry: Food and fish freezing, wood processing, meat canning
- Agriculture: Copra, coconuts, cacao, coffee; fish
- Exports: Copra, beef, cacao, timber, kava
—Text From National Geographic Atlas of the World, Eighth Edition
Get inspired with our Ultimate Adventure Bucket List, a collection of 40 trips that range from totally extreme to actually doable.
How could a Neolithic people with simple canoes and no navigation gear colonize hundreds of far-flung islands scattered across the Pacific?
Scattered about the world's largest ocean, the legendary islands of the South Pacific are a wonder to travelers, full of beautiful sights and fascinating cultures.
Travel Photos From Your Shot
See Switzerland Photos Submitted By Users Like You