Editorial Business Intern
The editorial business intern is actively exposed to the production process of Traveler magazine from initial concept to final product. Skills to be learned will include: how to ensure legal accuracy of the magazine (copyright clearance, executed contracts); how the actual magazine process works, including the opportunity to observe how different integral parties (designers, writers, photographers, editors, etc.) interact; and how to produce a magazine. Research classes, library seminars, team meetings, and more hands-on experiences will add depth to this learning experience.
Five Principal Learning Opportunities
- Observe and participate in supervised editorial business activities such as: photography copyright clearance, contract management, and
records management; learn how photos are selected for the magazine.
- Receive supervised hands-on training of specific editorial tasks --e.g., reviewing magazine layout for records accuracy, copyright clearance.
- Attend research classes, library seminars, team meetings, brown bag lunches, management one-on-one sessions, and other training programs to learn the ins and outs of magazine publishing.
- Work with the team in other editorial projects, such as editorial research and fact-checking, assisting with mailings to writers and photographers.
- Assist the business manager with other editorial tasks as needed.
Related Field of Study Required
Journalism, Communications, or Business
Additional Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- A mature, organized, and enthusiastic undergraduate or graduate student. Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, acute attention to detail, and the ability to work independently is required. Computer savvy, with no fear of learning new programs.
The internship is offered during the spring (January through May), summer (late May through August) and fall (September through December) semesters, to coincide with university schedules. School credit must be obtained for this internship, and there is no pay. Please ask your academic adviser to verify that this internship would qualify for credit hours.
Please include cover letter with résumé.
For current internships, go online here.
Click on "Career Opportunities." Use search term: Traveler